Thursday, February 10, 2011

Reflective Post

As we reflected on Sonny’s Blues in class, my own contemplation on our discussion truly transformed my view on the text and Sonny’s character immensely. When I read the text for the first time, I was able to empathize with Sonny. It wasn’t until later that I noticed my personal life correlate so closely with Sonny’s. Our classroom discussion really sparked this notion in me- to search my own feelings on my view of music. I am typically so concerned with the performing aspect of music, that I don’t spend much time thinking about how music is perceived. In class, we discussed how music is the way Sonny learns to communicate. It is the means in which he shows his true soul. I then recognized, music really does showcase the limitation of our words. We learn his brother is only mindful of Sonny’s feelings through hearing him play, and this is where he truly understands the depth of all that Sonny is.
I can completely relate to this feeling. Music has been a huge part of my life, and a passion I have held since I was just a ten year old girl. It is now my degree and will be my career in just a few short months. I am classically trained, so when I first learned how to play- a sheet of music is filled with notes. It is merely a sheet that you read, just like a book, but in a different language. The symbols would speak to me, and I would play what I learned. This is not the case now. When I read a piece of music I dive into it creatively. Rather than it being a sheet of notes with limitations, I see it as a blank canvas that I can fill with different colors. At one point, Sonny’s brother says, “Sonny. You hear me?” Sonny, says “I hear you. But you never hear anything I say.” Music truly is a way of communication, and conveys the emotions that words cannot express. It is the ultimate way of expressing yourself.  In being a musician, your ultimate goal is to be heard, to be understood, to be recognized.

No comments:

Post a Comment