Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Perhaps, Hills Like White Elephants stood out to me most because I found this text to be a challenge. Not only intellectually. No, it did not merely confuse me with its symbolism; it also dared me to wrestle with this text on a spiritual level. It stood out to me- because each of the short stories we have read, seem to encompass an unmistakable theme in the final closing stages of each piece. The underlying hints and motifs took some pondering on my behalf, but the meaning, the premise of each story is typically not difficult to discern. On the contrary, upon reading Hills Like White Elephants, I found myself at a loss trying to solve this intricately constructed puzzle. As I continued reading through to the last sentence, to the last period of the story; I felt as though I was absent-mindedly missing the point of this piece of literature. I became certain that some kind of answer was being concealed by the author. Upon a first reading, I challenged myself to read solely on my own. Yet, after a second read through, I allowed myself to utilize the textual links provided. Initially, I as the reader still felt somewhat perplexed by what the author was not exposing upon first glance. This was- until the word abortion seemed to nearly scream out to me from the text. It all made sense then.  The imagery was introduced immediately and then almost put on display for the audience to interpret. My faith pertains so heavily to this text. It breaks my heart to think that a young girl is contemplating such a daunting decision when there is not even a hint of hope her life.  As I mull over this story, I take with me this simple notion I have pondered. “What would I say to this young girl if I knew what she was considering at that moment?”

No comments:

Post a Comment